Sunday, September 8, 2013

A GOOD REMINDER

My first week of classes went as good as can be expected I suppose. With all the switching class periods and new students in my room every day, and also learning to deal with my special needs students, by Friday I couldn't have been more stoked for the weekend. I went home and collapsed on the couch, too exhausted to really do anything. And I promise you I tried to pay attention during Friday night church, but it was a battle to even keep my eyes open.

Saturday didn't really offer much rest either. But what is life if not constantly busy? I went to lunch with a very good friend and then attended a barbecue that evening.

Mimi and I made chocolate jalapeƱo cupcakes with a vegan lime cream cheese glaze. They were, to say the least, delicious. I was a little worried that maybe the cupcakes turned out too spicy, but the lime cream cheese balanced out the hotness of the jalapeƱos. Really, you should try them.

Over a dinner of perfectly grilled tri-tip steak, the best potato salad and macaroni salad in the world, amazing cilantro pasta salad and a variety of chips, we sat and talked and reminisced about Honduras with our wonderful team. The barbecue was the three month anniversary of our departure. It is almost unbelievable that it has been that long and that short at the same time.


We are such a close knit team that once we were all together again it sort of felt like we hadn't been apart at all. Missions trips bond people for life, I'm telling you. We are already starting to plan our trip for next October, in 2014.

It is an interesting thing to spend time in a third world country. After so long you get to come home and go back to your 'normal' life. You get to sleep in your normal bed and wear your normal clothes and go to your normal job. But the people you meet and the workers you sweat along side with every day are still down there. That is their "normal." And doesn't that just blow your mind?



Having memories and pictures and friends from that trip really puts into perspective just how blessed I am to live where I do, to be who I am. With all the crazy things I have done this summer it is important to remember that I am lucky to have all these things. To have two silly puppies and a full time job. To be surrounded by family and friends.


As I begin the second week of the school year, learning to navigate new situations and ask tough questions about whether some things I'm facing are too difficult for a first year teacher to deal with on her own, I'm going to remind myself that this is a giant blessing in my life. This job, with all it's challenges, is going to help me grow. It is the best thing I could ask for, even though it's probably one of the toughest things I've ever attempted.

But you know what, I'm not worried. This is going to be the best year yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...