Tuesday, September 3, 2013

FIRST DAY. NAILED IT.

Well guys, I survived my first day of classes. To say that it was an interesting experience would be maybe the understatement of the century. My students so far have been all over the board. Some are thrilled to be in art class beyond all reason and others are merely checking off their humanities credit boxes in order to complete all their graduation requirements, which honestly is exactly what I expected.

So I tried to motivate them by making them sit through this video:



Whether or not it worked remains to be seen, it is only the first day after all. Sheesh.

If I can tell you one thing though, it's that I am not at all a big fan of the first week of school. Too much setting up the classroom and organizing and syllabus reading and monotony. I am ready to launch into projects and establish some routines already.

But then that Nathan guy said something that made me reconsider a little bit. It'll be winter break before you know it so you should enjoy it all while it's here babe. And he's right. I will only have one first week to my first year of teaching and that will never happen again.

My advanced art class is my last class of the day. I already know a lot of the students in that class and it's basically a giant flash mob. There was rapping and singing and more swag than I knew what to do with. Plus one of my students asked me when I was going to get married and then he tried to guess my boyfriend's name. I was too busy laughing at the ridiculousness to answer his question. It's going to be a fantastic year, or at least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...