Monday, January 5, 2009

Unwelcome Changes

I am 18 years old. Legally, this makes me an adult. I can vote, I can die for my country, I can gamble. I should be able to stay out past ten o'clock, but not in this house. I should be able to do what I want - with in reason, obviously.

I think that as you grow up, you should be allowed more freedoms. The freedoms that I've experienced while I'm living on my own at school have been nice. I can go where I want when I want to go there. And random Winco runs at 1 in the morning are always a total blast. And then I come here, and it's like all freedom has been stripped away.

Lately I feel like I'm at odds with my dad too. He's annoyed at something and that makes him react strangely to me. I don't want to complain about it, but writing it down gets it out of my system. I just want to be treated like an adult. I want to stay out later at night than 10 o'clock, because that is a ridiculous time to me. I understood that when I was still in high school and lived at home permanently - but now? I mean, really? I feel like such a little whiney brat writing about this in my blog. It seems so insignificant, and yet still so incredably significant to me.

I really have decided that I don't want to live at home anymore. I like visiting, but I like having my freedom and being able to make my own decisions. I don't know if that is selfish of me, because I think my perception of what is or isn't selfish is a bit scewed, but I do know that I don't like it here. And this is the first time in my life that I have not liked living at home. It is indeed an unwelcome change.

1 comment:

  1. I hope things settle out. I hope M isn't the cause of your dad's annoyance either.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...