Monday, April 28, 2014

ADVENTURES AND PROMS AND BEING AN ADULT

This weekend was a lot of things for me. There is a situation at work that is stressing me out and last week I was on edge every day it seemed. So, it's not been very fun to be me recently, is what it comes down to.

But Saturday night was prom. Our theme was "Under The Sea" and someone unnamed had volunteered me to chaperon. At first I was a little hesitant, but since I was actually staying in town this weekend I decided to just do it. (Introvert problems, you know? I'm sorry, you want to hang? I can't. I have to sit at home by myself and watch Netflix...)


I met up at an Italian restaurant with a bunch of the other chaperons for our pre-prom dinner. This place provides crayons and covers their tables with butcher paper. There is a six year old child inside of me that just can't resist this combination. I drew sea creatures and a small drawing contest erupted between me and the two teachers I was next to. There was a flying manatee at one point. Teachers know how to party.


Then we headed out to the golf course event center that's right on the lake. It was gorgeous. I wished a million times that my high school proms could have been held there instead of at the resort. Oh well. And the decorations the students have been working on for the last three weeks were everywhere. The place just looked amazing.























Students started flooding in, the lights got dim. The sun set behind the mountains (the view! you guys!) and the music started thumping. The base was loud. The music was a good mix of things before my time, during my time and after my time. A lot of what blared through the speakers was music from my high school years, which felt a little odd, admittedly. Apple Bottom Jeans, anyone?


We did the Cupid Shuffle and Cotton-Eyed Joe. The students all got ridiculously excited about the Wobble...which I am wholly unfamiliar with. The girls were really into it, so. It was fun to watch.

I danced a lot more than I had anticipated and I sang along with tons of the songs. By the time I got home that night my voice was scratchy and my ears were ringing. It's been a long time since I've had that much fun at an event similar to this one. My high school prom experiences weren't bad, but they were followed around by that typical teenage girl angst of wanting to dance with boys. I never attended a formal dance with a boyfriend (which I've heard is a good thing. there are some horror stories out there) and I always had fun. There was also always some sort of tension between me and my date because one of us always cared more and it usually wasn't me. Except when I went to prom with Jeff because despite the joke about us being "secret lovers" a la the commercial that was so popular back then, we truly were just friends and that was a great night.

But I digress.

I've decided that I like chaperoning prom a lot more than I liked attending it when I was a student. And perhaps next year us chaperons will show up in our own poofy prom dresses. Like I said, teachers know how to party.


Sunday morning woke me up at 7 with a healthy dose of prom hangover. I spent the day on the couch binge watching Futurama and sleeping.

And then in the evening I went on one of the longest runs of my life. I hadn't planned it that way, but then, adventure.

You guys, running is such a metaphor for life. Can I just tell you? Because it is.

There is a route that I usually take, and I just stick to that route. I know it. I'm comfortable running it. It's not too crazy and it's not too far. I'm usually out there for fifteen or twenty minutes and I come back feeling good. But just like in life, sometimes routine gets boring.

So instead of turning and crossing the road at my usual spot, I decided to go straight. I knew what was up ahead, but I hadn't ever ran there before, you know? I jogged up the road, passed by my old middle school. Turned into a big neighborhood and ran down to the park that I've played at off and on since it was built. The whole thing took me about an hour before I found myself back at my apartment complex.

My life has been linear. It has been routine, even though the routine has changed a couple times. But I always just take what's ahead of me. I brace for it, whatever it is, instead of maybe choosing something different. I went through school. Graduated. Went to college. Graduated. Got a job working in my field.

It's always been a progression. There hasn't been really any sideways motions, just always forward. This thing I'm dealing with at work could end up aiding in carrying through that forward momentum, or it could throw me sideways. Which, here is why running is my life metaphor.

Yesterday I decided to take a turn in a direction I hadn't been in before. There was no magic button to reset and put me back at my door step if I didn't like where I was or I got too tired to go on. There was no cell phone in my pocket to call for a ride home if my feet suddenly gave out. It was just me and the asphalt paved pathway my running shoes were pounding on.

There's a fork in my road. My job could go one way or the other and I'm not sure what's going to happen and it's a little scary. What happens if I have to go sideways? My plans have never really had the potential to change this drastically. I've always been the one with the power, and here it feels...different.

Whatever happens to me, I'm going to be alright. I know that. I've just started realizing what adulthood is all about. It's not about just taking the next step and following a certain plan. Plans change. Adulthood is about how you respond to the changes. How you roll with the punches and go with the flow. You can sit and fight the current or let it take you away. And there isn't really a right answer, which can be both exciting and terrifyingly horrible.

But I will end with this, I suppose. I still think being an adult is the stupidest thing I've ever done. And I love mostly every single stupid second of it.

4 comments:

  1. I love how you had as much fun-if not more fun than- the students! Ha!

    ashley-ashstash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nat, in the grand scheme of things, you are partly a Legler and I tell you this: Legler's know how to have fun. Just look at my two silly sisters and myself. My dad used to say that when the three of us girls were together, nobody could hear themselves think because we were all so busy laughing and having a good time, no matter what personal things were facing us. We are still that way, even in our senior years. Life is serious. But give yourself a break and let the "Legler" come out in you. Could be the best thing you ever did for yourself. I love you. Oma

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has a crazy awesome plan for your life. Cling to HIS plan, and don't really worry if it doesn't follow your own. I'm praying for you, my dear. Life is a crazy mess of things, but if we take a moment to appreciate what God has given us... it's actually pretty awesome. Despite the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE restaurants that have coloring tables! =D Best IDEA EVER!!! (Even for adults)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...