Monday, August 8, 2011

A Whirlwind "Vacation" part 1

I have been gone a while, bloggies, I know. I was too busy having an adventure in another country to blog! That and the internet was really sketchy and I was only using my phone because I didn't have a computer, and well, hello! It was an adventure!

You see, my church leads missions trips to Honduras and has been for years. My dad has made four trips, and for the first time I was able to join him. But oh my word was this ever a whirlwind of a trip. It started and ended so suddenly that I didn't really have time to think about what was happening. The entirety of my stay in Tegucigalpa, Honduras involved me actively choosing to stop what I was doing to take in the fact that I was actually in a third world country surrounded by people who didn't speak my language and yet were so happy that I was there. I just had to take time to revel in the fact that I was given a once in a lifetime opportunity, and be completely and totally thankful that I was where I was.

But before I get too far, let's back up for a second. Sunday afternoon I believe it was, I called my mom just for funsies and because I like to hear her voice. But she told me that my great uncle had been involved in an ATV accident, in which he crushed his kneecap and was rushed into emergency surgery. My uncle and aunt are also involved with the Honduran hype, and this accident prevented both of them from taking their trip.

Skip forward to 10:30 that night, my mother sent me a text. This is unusual because normally she's in bed at that time. I'm sitting on the couch in my living room in Moscow, unsuspecting of the glorious opportunity that was just about to be extended to me.

"Do you want to go to Honduras?"

I have to tell you, I just about died. My heart raced, my breathing became shallow, and my hands started to shake. I had trouble texting her back. Seriously? When did they leave? Did I have to fill out paper work? What about shots? How much did it cost?

And the whole time this is going on I'm telling PC over instant message because I can't just sit there and not let someone know what's happening to me! I'm shaking for crying out loud!

Mom told me to sleep on it and pray about it. The trip would be free for me, but they had to talk to one of the trip leaders first and see if the ticket could even be changed to my name. The team was leaving for Honduras on Wednesday. Monday morning my mom let me know the ticket had been transferred over and I needed to pack up my stuff and come home as soon possible.

I made the hour and a half drive by myself. Tuesday was a blur of getting my arm pumped with diseases (and oh how I hate shots!!), shopping, filling out the necessary paperwork and packing. Wednesday involved a bus ride to Seattle and subsequently sleeping on the two consecutive plane rides thereafter before finally landing in our sunny and warm Central American destination on Thursday around lunch time. 

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...