Sunday, June 20, 2010

Daddy Day

My dad used to have long hair. He'd come home from work with dirty jeans, callused hands, and filthy socks inside filthier boots. He smelled like a construction site.

Once, he left me for a long time to go to Idaho and see if he could find us a place to live and when he came back I gave him the biggest hug ever and then I promptly handed him the silent treatment as punishment for leaving me behind. I was two.

He had back surgery right around the time I was born, so he stayed at home with me while mom went to work. He changed my diapers, fed me, loved on me extra good. He would put me on his chest and I used to scratch the top of my head on his stubble. I wish I could show you a picture, but we don't have a digital copy and I'm not even on my own computer.

Dad would take me horse back riding on vacation to satisfy my incessant whining about wanting my own horse. I've ridden horses in the woods, on the beach, and in different states. And I loved it. And him, of course. :)

My oh my though, does he ever love to tease. He loves to tease and tease and tease until you are so mad you could spit, and the madder you get the more sick pleasure he pulls from the whole ordeal. My grandma says he got it from his dad, who loved to make my aunt scream when she was little.

I got my fine dirty blonde hair from my dad, I have blue eyes like his, I have a smile like his. TheKeeper and I look loads like our father. You can definitely tell we are related. And God only knows that I totally love to tease just. like. my. father.

"You are just like your father!" I hear from my mother, my grandmother, other family members and Prince Charming.

And I totally wouldn't have it any other way.

Love you dad. :)

3 comments:

  1. My dad had back problems when I was little too! He stayed home with my sister and I for a few months when I was maybe two. All I remember is music playing a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to your father!!! And how awesome that you have such a close relationship. Cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Father's Day to your Daddy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...