Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's Been A Long Day

Today was ridiculously cold. I woke up to a rain and snow mix. Winter is a frigid woman. This year she's finicky and heck and can't decide whether or not she actually wants to be winter or change in her identity for that of spring. Perhaps she's still stuck in autumn too.



But besides the outside weather being made of stabby ice windy death, I got to do a lot of art today. Mondays and Wednesdays are art days. I woke up, booked it to class, painted a color wheel and started on my portion of our combined class project of painting American Gothic. You know, it's that one painting with the two disgruntled people wearing dark cloths and the dude is holding a pitchfork.

It's supposed to be optimistic, but it doesn't appear that way until you really analyze the picture. Whatever. 

And then I was off to Drawing II to create this beautiful picture: 


I drew some portraits too, but trust me - you don't really want to see those. One has a saggy right eye, and the other one makes the model look really tired with coon eyes.We've been working primarily with compressed charcoal and hard white erasers. 

And everyday, it never fails, I bathe myself in charcoal. I get it not only all over my finger tips on both hands, but also clear up to my elbows. And then, inevitably, I touch my face. My nose, my cheeks, my forehead, and my chin. Black. Maybe I'm really supposed to be an alternate race and this is the universe's way of conveying that to me? 

Who knows. 

But on a different note, I don't post a lot of my artwork on here anymore. Mostly that's because we are drawing nude models, and I don't know how comfortable you all would be seeing naked people on my blog, but here are some pictures that don't show any junk: 




I tried to document the charcoal that was on my face, but you can't see it in the picture, which is highly unfortunate because I remind myself of 101 Dalmatians when they all roll in the soot to become Labradors to evade Cruella DeVill.

 
See? You totally can't tell that my face has charcoal splotches on it, and I didn't even edit this picture in photoshop! 

After I finished covering myself in charcoal, I went my Design Processing class. I only like going to that class because I have TheProf as my instructor. We've been working with acrylic paints. Remember that color wheel I was talking about in a previous post? Here's what it looks like:


It's pretty except for all the ugly poop brown colors in the middle. But when you mix complementary colors, that what you get. 

We also experimented with color interaction. What the heck is that? Well I'll show you: 


I like this picture. It's a mirror in case you were confused. The two purple squares are the same color, but on the different colors they should look different. I had trouble capturing that with my camera, because to me the two colors look the same. But you be the judge. 

On a completely unrelated note,  I went to WinCo last night and bought gummi bears and chocolate chips. You melt the chocolate chips in the microwave and then dip the gummi bears in it. If you haven't tried it before, you definitely should. 

3 comments:

  1. It never fails your nose starts to itch as soon as you get your hands dirty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post =) Thanks for sharing this snippit into your life! I love how you can write about seemingly ordinary things yet bring such life to them! Well done! Great art too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is so lovely! The words combined with the background and the art--very fun to read. Thanks for the visit to my dusty world.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...