Tuesday, March 31, 2015

WAKE UP SLOW

 (running on Tubbs Hill last night)

I sit on my yellow stool at work sometimes and dream up wonderful things to write about on my blog. Often times it's a deep revelation I've had about something on which I am totally considered to be an expert, and sometimes it's just a flitting thought that goes something like "oh hey, I should blog about that."

And then I come home and I open up my computer and Facebook sucks my time away and I forget that I was even going to write anything at all and then before I know it, it's nine o'clock in the evening and I have to go to bed. Because getting up early in the morning for work puts a real damper on my late nights these days.

But today I felt like writing instead of binging on Netflix. So here I am.

I just read a book by Gary Chapman called "Things I wish I'd known before we got married." And it is a fantastic book whether you are single, dating, or in a committed relationship. It talks about all sorts of things and one of the things it talks about is morning people vs night people.

And dudes, I am so not a morning people. Getting out of bed bright eyed and bushy tailed is never something I have really been able to do consistently. I mean, let's be real, there are certain exceptions where I'm tooooooo excited tooooo sleeeeeep and so morning comes and brings along with it a sense of impending adventure. But when it is just work for which I am awoken at the inhuman hour of six o'clock in the morning, I am loathe to get out from underneath my nice warm covers.

I know there are things I can do in my daily routine in order to force myself to become a morning person, but I just do not want to do those things. Instead of trying hard to change my body, I would rather just change my work schedule. Right.

One of the things Chapman says in his book though, is that morning people will never be night people and night people will never be morning people. And so I was thinking about that this morning on my drive to work as I tried to force my brain to begin to function. I kind of like that about myself, that I am not a morning person.

Because I didn't choose to be that or not to be that, I just am that. And I think it's kind of important to take the things that you just are and own them. Obviously not everything is something to keep around, like say, if you are quick to anger you maybe want to work on that. But as far as morning people vs night people goes - I say you are what you are and why force yourself to change it?

Morning people will never be night people in much the same way that introverts will never be extroverts. I find that I am most functional after nine o'clock in morning, just as I find I am most functional when I have had some time to myself before I am expected to positively interact with other people.

So what if I am not a Wake-Up-And-Sieze-The-Day kind of girl. I am actually more of a Wake-Up-And-Go-Slowly-And-Try-Not-To-Think-Too-Hard-Until-Coffee kind of a girl. And I like it that way.

Waking up too early, maybe we could sleep in. Make you banana pancakes, pretend like it's the weekend now. We could pretend it all the time, yeah. Can't you see that it's just raining, ain't no need to go outside. Ain't no need, ain't no need. Rain all day and I really, really, really don't mind. Can't you see, can't you see? You gotta wake up slow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...