Saturday, November 6, 2010

If It Ain't Eggs, It Ain't Breakfast. I Love Eggs.

*I'm going to preface this post by saying that while I really do think eggs are an important part of breakfast, some of the delicacies I have listed here do not include these chicken produced wonders. However, that is not to say that I do not eat eggs alongside of or closely following the scrumptious foods of my breakfast list*

I'm glad it's the weekend. I really am. Weekends are the only days of the week where it is permissible to stay up until the earliest hours of the morning and sleep in past noon. Though, truth be told I usually crash around 2 o'clock, which seems to be the latest that my brain parts allow me to function, and I wake up crusty eyed somewhere around 9:30 or 10:00, which is just a couple hours before anyone else is awake.

It gets me thinking though, being awake all by myself, how nice it would be to have a kitchen to wander into. I could make breakfast! I could cook bacon. And eggs. And mix them together, throw them into a skillet warmed tortilla, slap on some salsa and scarf it down like there's no tomorrow. Because don't you know it, but I make some of the best breakfast burritos around.

Or, do you know what I've really been craving for breakfast? Whole wheat waffles with blackberries. And maple syrup. You see, I'm very picky about my pancakes, waffles included. I have to be in the right mood, the planets have to align just so, and someone else has to want them right along with me. This doesn't happen very often, and most of the time I only eat the flapjacks because they are there and I'm too lazy to cook anything else.

But I have to tell you that my absolute favorite breakfast food is Eggs Benedict. I have no idea why they call it Benedict, as I don't believe it has anything to do with treasonous acts of a certain Arnold of the Benedict variety. However, this way of preparing eggs is quite lovely. My mother makes a white jalapeƱo sauce occasionally instead of the traditional Hollandaise version. I love both. Poached eggs, Canadian Bacon (or slices of ham, whatever's available), toasted English muffins, and creamy sauce of your choice - what is NOT to love?

Nothing. Because everything I just listed is delicious.

French toast, with powdered sugar because people who eat it with syrup are nuts, is ranked number two in my lists of breakfast foods that deserve awards. Along with gooey, straight out of the oven cinnamon rolls. Cream cheese frosting please, and nothing else. Mmmm, I am making myself hungry. Perhaps I now have to make a trip to the grocery store in order to obtain the deliciousness that is not ever even in the slightest found in the school cafeteria also referred to as Bob's.

Great. Now I'm starving.

What do you eat for breakfast? And please don't say oatmeal, or I fear we'll never be able to become friends.   

2 comments:

  1. Wait. You eat French Toast without maple syrup?! WHAT?! I'm afraid I eat all my breakfast foods with vast quantities of maple syrup... waffles, pancakes, french toast... even my scrambled eggs. YES! EVEN MY SCRAMBLED EGGS!
    I am from Vermont after all. I think my blood is part maple syrup...

    PS: I like oatmeal :P *evil laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only type of eggs I like are scrambled and I like them cooked well (I like everything I eat cooked well though). I'm sort of the same with pancakes/waffles in that I like them, but only if I'm feeling like it.

    PS: I'm Canadian and I hate that Canadian Bacon is referred to as any type of bacon, it's not frickin' bacon! Grr argh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...